An Open Letter to My Dad
Happy Father's Day to my Dad—Andy Homol—and all the awesome male parental figures out there!
I just want to say first off: Don't expect some mushy card this year for Father's Day. It's just not my style. So I hope you'll accept this simple column as a suitable tribute.
Here's wishing you a happy Father's Day—and not because I'm required to by polite society and the Hallmark company.
I hope you have an awesome day because:
- You've been there when I needed someone to tell me, "Dude, you must chill." Even if I'm still not that great at it, you're helping me learn.
- You've graciously allowed me to suck down your coffee while rambling on during the 5 o'clock news—never minding the constant chatter.
- You let me stay up late as a little kid to watch Kung Fu Theatre and various B-horror films, teaching me the beauty of dark comedies such as "Heathers."
- You always indulged me as a kid (who are we kidding, I made you do this, like, last winter) by tasting the yucky prescription cough medication before I had to take the first dose. Even though you lied every time and said it tasted good, the reassurance still worked.
- You always have had a story to tell—and I think your natural ability to weave a verbal narrative helped me learn how to write a better story.
- You're the best Best Dad in the Universe, obviously.
P.S. "I love my father as the stars—he's a bright shining example and a happy twinkling in my heart." Terri Guillemets (O.K.—you got me. Maybe I'm more mushy than I thought)
Editor's Note: Come on now— share the love! Upload your favorite picture of your pops and let us know why he is awesome. It's easier than you think. Just click the "upload" button above and follow the steps. And hey, if you still need help just give me a buzz at 724-510-5659 and I'll walk you through it!