This article appeared today on The Marcellus Shale Coalition webpage. It discusses how small businesses are benefiting from the natural gas drilling. According to the article:
"Today, two western Pennsylvania small business owners took their success stories to Washington, DC, testifying before the U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources."
One of the people who shared their stories was the owner of HogFather's BBQ in Wahington and Canonsburg, Pa. Frank Puskarich. Here's what Frank Had to say about how his restuarant and other businesses are thriving because of the gas industry:
- I’ve been in business since the natural gas activity in the Marcellus Shale took off years ago, and I personally see that there has been a multi-billion dollar impact seen in all aspects of the state’s economy. And simply put, this is the best thing that’s happened to me and my company.
- When I opened in May 2007 I had 15 employees on staff and sales of just over $10,000 per week. Last week, my company with 3 locations and 75+ employees did well over $70,000 and there is a good chance that this year we will break $4 million in sales.
- [M]y food supplier has…reported just under a 400% increase in our case purchases per week from 2010 to the end of 2012. … [T]he Natural Gas Industry have allowed me to recruit, train, and compensate better management and service employees. Each of my unit managers is now given a salary and benefits package earning them over $71,000 per year. I also provide at no cost to them complete health and dental care including their families. I am also able to pay an hourly rate for the kitchen staff that is well over 65% higher than the minimum wage rate.
- Everyday a new local business appears. … There are new clothing business opening that specialize in protective apparel and boots required to work the natural gas industry. Closed gas stations are re-opening and offering on the way food and supplies. Auto repairs shops are springing back up. Several years back I could walk in and get my hair cut. Now I have to take a seat and wait my turn. Independent hardware stores in the area are also remodeling and upgrading their inventories. People are fixing and remodeling their recently purchased homes and apartments. Rental property owners are doing the same.
- Washington County, Pennsylvania is thriving in so many aspects that it never was before. Thanks to this industry, our region’s economy is stronger that ever before. … Natural gas can help to solve so many problems for America- clean air, energy security, and economic growth. And I know this because I’m seeing it happening in my own hometown.
Read more at: